Bring on the Fall. This week seems to be one of the hottest in the whole summer – just when I’m thinking of pumpkin lattes and vanilla and sweet potatoes.
I look forward to evenings when I can snuggle on the couch under a blanket with my hubs – watching a movie – after the boys go to bed – knowing that it is getting cool outside!
Patchwork Butternut Squash, Kale, & Chicken Pot Pie
Author: the charming south kitchen
Recipe type: Main Dish
A fall flavored pot pie with chicken, butternut squash, and kale
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 T evoo
- 1¼ cup diced butternut squash
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 massive handfuls of chopped kale
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 pie crust, torn in pieces
- Heat the oven to 350.
- In cast iron skillet, heat oil and butter. Add in onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minutes
- Add squash and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cook the chicken in same pan until done.
- Combine the vegetables, chicken, spices, and cheese.
- Pour into a deep dish pie pan. Cut strips of pie crust and make a lattice or patchwork pattern out of them. Layer on top of pot pie.
- Cook for about 45-50 minutes or until top crust is golden brown.