My husband would so appreciate this post! He is so much tidier than I am – I think he knew that before he proposed and he still did, but I can always be better at it. A clean and peaceful home are two things that really show him that I love him. And when you know your husband’s love language, shouldn’t you try to shout it loud and clear all day long!
Well, some things I can work on. Little tasks throughout the day. I don’t have to spend all day cleaning or anything like that. But, if I just find a few things each day that I can concentrate on – it will help in the long run.
- It takes me less than 10 minutes to unload, load, and wash the dishes. Sometimes I do this in the morning, sometimes I do it at night – but 10 minutes. I sometimes have to tell myself this to get to the kitchen and set the timer. Then I realize it never takes as long as I think it does.
- Find little sections of the house to declutter/clean and you’ll feel better about your house in general. You don’t have to tackle a whole room at once. I have two young boys and our house is filled with toys. But, if I can do something while they are watching Curious George or playing on the back porch – it will be a blessing to all involved.
- Keep my table and hutch cleaned off. This is huge. It didn’t happen when I was growing up, but since getting married I’ve always strived to keep the kitchen table clean and the hutch display worthy. Now, we use our kitchen table for crafts, coloring, eating, snacking, playing games, but then when we are done we clean it up.
- Pick up the toys (or other items) around your house at the end of the night. This is a great way to teach preschoolers responsibility. Have them help clean up before bed time, putting all their toys away in an place that is reachable for them.
- Make your bed. My husband usually does this in the morning which is such a blessing. But, I know that if our bed is made, it makes our whole bedroom seem clean, bright, and cheery. And I can more easily fold clothes there during the day. And who doesn’t like to fold clothes?
What do you do in your home that is helpful in keeping it clean and tidy?