It is no surprise to most people that the SCOTUS handed down a favorable win for same-sex marriage yesterday. This doesn’t surprise me at all because we are not a theocracy nor are most of the people in government controlled by the Bible. In a way I don’t find fault with a non-Christian society to assume that all marriage should be allowed.
However, even though my family lives in America, we are more controlled by the God of the Bible and know that He is sovereign over all, Jesus is no longer in the tomb, and God even controls the government and the leaders and the decisions by His sovereign will.
That being said, I, as a parent to two little boys, have a God-given responsibility and grace to teach these little ones in my care (and my husband’s care) about a biblical view of marriage and how to be men of God. So I’ve thought about it the last couple of days and here are some points that I will be instilling in their little souls and will pray that God captures their hearts at an early age, that they grow up to fight for Truth and freedom, and that they love God with all their hearts.
1. God’s Word is the Truth. There is no false teaching in the Bible. Every word of it is true. It is the final authority. In our lives, it is the final authority now. Unfortunately, those who don’t know Jesus don’t live under this truth. They choose to disobey a loving God who has a great plan for their lives. They will one day know that God is the only God and his truth is supreme. 2 Timothy 3.16-17
2. God has called them to be men. Men. Men of truth, valor, and integrity. Men who love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her. Men who will unite themselves to one woman for the rest of their lives and seek to live out the Gospel in their home. Men who will lead, provide, and protect their wives and children. Men who will fight for justice. Men who will stand for truth. Ephesians 5
3. God is Ruler over everything. Many places throughout the Bible we see God the Father orchestrating the hands of government to do his will. This decision of the SCOTUS does not surprise him one bit. He is the Ruler and He knows all. He has a great plan for His great fame in this country and the world. Psalm 97
4. #lovewins is not about gay marriage. Love won the day Jesus conquered the grave after he died for our sin. ! Corinthians 15
5. Gospel applies to all. When we encounter those who do not believe the truth of the Bible we have one response – to love them as Christ loved them and point them to their need for a Savior. Romans 3
6. They are sinners. My boys need the Gospel. Their mommy and daddy need the gospel. Just because we will teach them that gay marriage is wrong (against God’s final authority) doesn’t make us better. We need Jesus. Romans 6-7
7. Love truth. I will teach them to love truth in every walk of life. In playing with their friends, in learning about the Bible, in standing up for justice and truth in their school, in not shrinking back when lies prevail. Psalm 119.9
It was a sad day. But, I have a responsibility to my children to train them up in the fear and admonition of the Lord and will pray that they will know the Truth and the Truth will set them free.